ICYMI is Fembot’s weekly news roundup, providing you last week’s feminist and social justice news. Check out what you may have missed from the 2016 Rio Olympics!
- #RepresentationMatters for athletes: Why The Record Number Of Out LGBT+ Athletes Competing In Rio Matters
- Daily Beast writer outs international athletes – including ones from countries where their sexuality is illegal – putting their lives in danger for clickbait: Why media coverage [outing] of LGBT+ Olympic athletes is ‘simply unacceptable’
- South Africa: Lesbian Olympian Wins Silver In Rio, Faces Hatred At Home. “Javelin thrower Sunette Viljoen says she will fight for oppressed LGBT people ’till my hands are stubs.'”
- History in the making: TOP 5 FEMALE FIRSTS AT 2016 RIO OLYMPICS
- #Blackgirlmagic takes spotlight at Olympics – “America’s black female athletes have won more than two dozen of the 100-plus U.S. medal haul.”
- From the “WHY WE NEED FEMINISM” files: Top 10 Most Sexist Things To Occur At The 2016 Rio Olympics
- Just Do It: Stop Attributing The Success Of Women Olympians To Men.
- Funny headline, but much less fun behind the scenes. Olympian Fu Yuanhui reveals shocking truth: Women get periods! In China, tampons were not manufactured until 2016, and ads for period products are banned from primetime and lunchtime viewing because they’re considered “disgusting.”
- You don’t get a medal for allyship – doing the right thing in the face of inequality and injustice should be treated as the norm, not as an exceptional accomplishment – but you do get a high five! Olympic men stand up to sexism, too — because that’s not just women’s work.
Have a thought about this piece? We encourage your civil communication with our writers. Tweet us at @fembotmag or reach out to us on our Facebook page. If you have any news stories you’d like us to write about, or include in our weekly news round up, then be sure to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us.