ICYMI is Fembot’s weekly news roundup, providing you last week’s feminist and social justice news. Check out what you may have missed every Monday.
- Happy (belated) Women’s Equality Day 2016! Created by Bella Abzug, the holiday is celebrated on August 26 each year in honor of the 1920 passing of the 19th Amendment giving U.S. women the vote.
- The Republican War on Women continues: G.O.P. presidential candidate Donald Trump hires racist, misogynist Steve Bannon from Breitbart “News” to run his campaign.
- Meanwhile women are dying in Texas thanks to G.O.P. closing of clinics as Texas now has the highest maternal mortality rate in the developed world.
- This week in #RepresentationMatters: Italian swimmer Rachele Bruni dedicates silver medal to girlfriend; Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual; Ellen Page & Kate Mara fall in love in Mercy; Riri Williams To Be Called Ironheart, Not Iron Man.
- Leslie Jones Embodies The Least Protected Blackness Of All: after nightmarish invasion of privacy, FBI/ICE investigates hacking & doxing of Jones. In response, Ava DuVernay shows #LoveForLeslieJ.
- Burkini Un-Banned in France: Women Throw Beach Party to Protest French Islamophobia, then France’s burkini ban overturned by highest court.
- The bad news: U.S. Judge Grants Nationwide Injunction Blocking White House Transgender Policy.
- The good news: Apple, Facebook, IBM, and Microsoft Promise to Pay Women as Much as Men; Homeless Shelters Could Soon Become More Welcoming To Trans Residents; There’s an Awesome Camp Where Girls Train to Be Firefighters.
[image via x]
Have a thought about this piece? We encourage your civil communication with our writers. Tweet us at @fembotmag or reach out to us on our Facebook page, or Tumblr pages. If you have any news stories you’d like us to write about, or include in our weekly news round up, then be sure to email us at email@example.com or tweet us.