ICYMI is Fembot’s weekly news roundup, providing you last week’s feminist and social justice news. Check out what you may have missed every Monday.
- Profeminist was out yesterday for Labor Day, the U.S. holiday for workers and workers’ rights. In honor of the day, let’s celebrate Jewish feminist and labor activist Rose Schneiderman. “As an active feminist she campaigned for women’s right to vote as a member of the National American Women Suffrage Association.”
- Activist of the week, Zulaikha Patel: Schoolgirl, 13, becomes heroine of South Africa after REFUSING to tame her afro despite school rules and launching protest. “I was fighting for every black child in this country. It’s time our cries are heard.’”
- Injustice of the week: Brock Turner leaves jail after serving half a 6-month sentence for sex assault. He faced up to 16 years, prosecutors asked for 6 years, the judge sentenced him to 6 months, he served 3. Repeat after me: WE NEED TO CHANGE RAPE LAWS NATIONWIDE AND INTERNATIONALLY. California Lawmakers Approve Mandatory Sentencing For Rape.
- Girls, she’s got you covered: Mom Slams Magazine For Failing Our Girls In Epic Open Letter. “You CAN fight the tide of objectification of girls.”
- While we’re on the “issue” of magazines for girls: Finally, there’s a feminist magazine for girls who love science and climbing trees.
- Celebrities doing good: Zendaya Coleman celebrates her 20th birthday by raising money for aspiring businesswomen in need; Kerry Washington designs bags to benefit domestic violence victims; Dolly Parton helps gay family members come out.
- Thank you for being a “friend of Dorothy” (joke h/t to @embracetheanimal): LGBTQ Homeless Center To Open in NYC, Thanks To Bea Arthur!
- Girl Power: Video: How ‘Supergirl’ stuntwoman Jessie Graff just made ‘Ninja Warrior’ history (while wearing a Green Lantern outfit).
- We Don’t Need Another Hero: How Disney’s Positioning Moana as the Ultimate Anti-Princess.
- And the feminist eyeroll of the week goes to … this writer.
[image via x]
Have a thought about this piece? We encourage your civil communication with our writers. Tweet us at @fembotmag or reach out to us on our Facebook page, or Tumblr pages. If you have any news stories you’d like us to write about, or include in our weekly news round up, then be sure to email us at email@example.com or tweet us.