ICYMI is Fembot’s weekly news roundup, providing you last week’s feminist and social justice news. Check out what you may have missed every Friday.
- Rest In Power: the LGBTQIA+ community lost two bright lights this week, as transgender actress and performer Lady Chablis passed away, followed by transgender actress and activist Alexis Arquette.
- THANKS OBAMAS! President Obama Just Ensured PERMANENT Funding For Planned Parenthood, while InStyle and Michelle Obama Team Up for Charitable Handbag Line.
- More White House feminism: VPOTUS Joe Biden commemorated Twenty-two Years of Progress with the Violence Against Women Act, and a Historic Bill Of Rights For Survivors Of Sexual Assault Is Heading To Obama’s Desk (TW for sexual assault, victim blaming)
- Not “the greatest woman athlete ever” – THE GREATEST ATHLETE EVER: Nike Calls Serena Williams the Greatest Athlete Ever in This Striking U.S. Open Ad
- Rio wrap-up: 47% of out LGBT Olympians won medals in Rio, while At Least 10 Out LGBT Athletes Competed At The Paralympics In Rio. Congratulations to all the athletes, out and not!
- #RepresentationMatters: Miss Missouri Erin O’Flaherty Breaks Record as First Openly Gay Miss America Contestant; SNL’s First Latina Cast Member Melissa Villaseñor Is an Impression Machine; D&D Players’ Handbook uses a black woman as the “Human” entry, and in a real outfit, not bikini chainmail!
- Red-Pill archives from before “The Matrix”: check out the cover to this hilarious anti-feminist Science Fiction novel from the 1970s.
[image via x]
Have a thought about this piece? We encourage your civil communication with our writers. Tweet us at @fembotmag or reach out to us on our Facebook page, or Tumblrpages. If you have any news stories you’d like us to write about, or include in our weekly news round up, then be sure to email us at email@example.com or tweet us.